Website Boston University Libraries
The Boston University Libraries seek an experienced, forward-thinking, and creative professional to lead the librarians and paraprofessional staff in its Technical Services unit. Technical Services encompasses acquisitions, receiving, cataloging, e-resource management, and metadata creation. This position is critical to the effective operation of the Boston University Libraries and represents an opportunity to rethink and realign workflows and department operations. Reporting to the Associate University Librarian for Planning & Operations, the Head of Technical Services will oversee the operational management of staff engaged in technical services activities and will provide strategic direction to the unit. This position is responsible for the overall administration and coordination of work and for establishing and implementing technical services policies, standards, and procedures.
The Head of Technical Services will:
- Provide vision and strategic direction for technical services operations across the Boston University Libraries. Align operations and workflows with strategic priorities.
- Supervise the Technical Services Manager, the Cataloging and Metadata Librarian, the Resource Management Librarian, and the Electronic Resources Librarian. With this team, provide oversight of all staff and activities relating to receiving, processing, description, and management of library resources.
- Lead the Technical Services operations and coordinate the workflows between Technical Services areas as well as between Technical Services and other library departments. Oversee the process of evaluating and improving workflow efficiency.
- Act as the chief technical resource for the catalog/bibliographic database; coordinate bibliographic practice among units/departments within the Library, and for other main campus libraries.
- Coordinate the application of descriptive metadata schemas for digitized and born-digital content and develop strategies for metadata interoperability.
- Formulate policies for the administration of technical services activities.
- Ensure high quality, productivity, and adherence to standards for acquisitions, resource management, and descriptive frameworks for all formats. Coordinate the on-going identification and implementation of opportunities to improve service to stakeholder groups and increase efficiency within all Technical Services areas.
- Serve as a member of the library’s leadership group, sharing in management responsibility for the Boston University Libraries as a whole.
- Master’s degree in library and information science from an ALA-accredited program.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in cataloging, resource management, or a related field in an academic library setting.
- Strong knowledge of cataloging and metadata standards (e.g., MARC21, RDA) and experience with integrated library systems (ILS).
- Minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to collaborate effectively with diverse stakeholders.
To apply for this job please visit bu.silkroad.com.