Website Swarthmore College Libraries
Reporting to the Associate Director for Research, Instruction, and User Services, the Head of McCabe Access and User Services is responsible for the leadership and management of the McCabe Library Access and User Services department with oversight of circulation services, print and digital reserves, interlibrary loan, public facing technologies, building use, and security. They supervise 4 FTE staff and, with the staff, approximately 12 FTE student staff (60 individuals). The Head of McCabe Access and User Services fosters a collaborative, productive, and engaging work environment for Access Services staff.
In coordination with the branch libraries and consortial colleagues at Haverford and Bryn Mawr Colleges, they seek to align practices and policies that enhance access to the libraries. They collaborate with the College’s Disabilities Services, Dean’s Office, ITS, and other student affairs services.
A member of the Library Council, the Head of McCabe Access and User Services is responsible for contributing to priority setting and decision making. In collaboration with the Associate Director for Research, Instruction, and User Services as well as the Head of Research and Instructional Services, they provide coordination for all public-facing library services, ensuring that both regular and student staff provide the highest quality information services to library patrons.
– Manages the McCabe Library Access and User Services department, including but not limited to: general and reserves circulation services, Tri-College lending, interlibrary loan, collection and stack maintenance, library technology, disability services, and general informational services to the Swarthmore College community and visitors.
– In coordination with departmental staff, supervises allocation of student resources for daily operations to maintain coverage of service points and key functions. Determines responsibilities of and levels of student positions. Responsible for resolving student employment issues and determining appropriate disciplinary actions as they arise.
– Provides a range of services to assist and support the libraries’ college community and external clientele, including facilitating access to/lending of the library’s materials.
– Participates in collection management activities with colleagues across library departments, including but not limited to: shifting, weeding, storage solutions, and analytics.
– The Head of Access and User Services is required to work during inclement weather or other emergency situations even if the campus has otherwise canceled operations.
Directly supervises the work of the (4 FTE) McCabe Access and User Services Staff and approximately 60 student assistants.
More information and the application can be found on our website. For first consideration apply by February 16th.
To apply for this job please visit careers.swarthmore.edu.