Website Alfred University
Public Services Librarian
The Alfred University Libraries seek a forward-thinking and collaborative Public Services Librarian to join a highly engaged team. We are looking for someone with a strong focus on customer service and a commitment to incorporating diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility practices, particularly anti-racism and anti-oppression, into their librarianship. This position provides opportunities to mentor undergraduate students through our student assistant program and an opportunity to support the campus community through library services.
The Public Services Librarian is a 10-month, tenure-track faculty position reporting to the Dean of Libraries. This librarian will provide leadership, vision, and oversight for Public Services at two campus library locations, Herrick Memorial Library and Samuel R. Scholes Library. This librarian will be responsible for planning and managing all public facing operations including circulation, reserves, service desk operations, and reference, and is responsible for developing and encouraging a positive, engaging, and user-centered approach. This librarian will lead the Alfred University Libraries Public Services Team, consisting of staff from the two libraries and 60+ library student assistants. This position also works with the Director of Libraries to lead Library outreach, events, and user experience efforts, as well as collecting and reporting library usage statistics. This position will be assigned subject-based liaison areas according to interest and/or expertise, and will participate in reference, instruction, and the University Libraries’ Personal Librarian Program.
- A Master’s degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association, or equivalent international Master’s degree in Library Science/Information Studies.
- Successful supervisory experience.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility (DEIA) efforts, particularly anti-racism and anti-oppression, in libraries and in higher education.
- Experience working in Circulation, Public Services, or Reference Services in an academic library.
- Strong customer service orientation, excellent oral and written communication, and supervisory skills.
- Ability to effectively manage staff across two locations.
- Experience using Alma/Primo and Springshare software.
- Experience mentoring or working with students, particularly college students.
Review of candidates will begin on May 1, 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
For further information regarding this position, contact the search committee co-chairs Maria Planansky [email protected] and Mechele Romanchock [email protected] A detailed job description is available at: https://blog.alfred.edu/aulibrarynews/?p=2940.
A complete application will include:
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter outlining how your qualifications and experience will prepare you for success in this position.
- A brief statement (up to one page) describing your leadership philosophy and how you creatively solve service challenges.
- Contact information for three professional references (address, phone number, and email). References will only be contacted at the finalist stage.
Founded in 1836 and nestled between the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains and the Finger Lakes wine region of western New York State, Alfred University (alfred.edu) is a small comprehensive private university. The second oldest co-educational college in the United States the campus is situated on 232 beautiful, hilly and wooded acres where nearly 2,000 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students reside in a vibrant, student-centered learning community.
Alfred University is also home to the New York State College of Ceramics, a Statutory College of the State of New York, creating a unique public-private partnership. One result of this distinctive arrangement is that Alfred’s students, faculty, and staff are served by two libraries: The Samuel R. Scholes Library, which supports the School of Engineering and the School of Art and Design, and Herrick Memorial Library, which supports the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the College of Business, and the School of Graduate and Continuing Studies/AUNY (External Programs).
Alfred University actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee, student or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, military or veteran status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction status, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Protected veterans, minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit alfreduniversity.applytojob.com.