Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in science and engineering on behalf of national security. We are seeking an Electronic Resources Librarian to join The LANL Research Library in Los Alamos, NM. In this position, you will serve as an expert in the electronic resources lifecycle and find creative ways to maximize the impact of subscription and open access content to meet LANL’s mission of solving national security challenges through scientific excellence. Based on experience, candidates will be hired at a level 1 or 2 position.
Library Professional 1 ($61,600 – $96,500)
Library Professional 2 ($75,100 – $119,200)
- Assist in managing the life cycle of the library’s electronic resources, including databases, books and serials
- Activate and maintain access protocols for electronic resources and collections, and update and customize metadata for electronic resource access
- Proactively assist in the management of technical and administrative changes related to electronic resource access
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to ensure ongoing access to licensed electronic resources (e.g., publisher package entitlements, databases and other types of resources)
- Resolve problems arising from the use of electronic resources and respond to end-user reported issues with electronic resources
- Communicate promptly and professionally with library staff, users and vendor support to troubleshoot online access issues
- Manage the Ex Libris knowledge system(s) (Alma and Primo) to optimize the use of our electronic resources
- Collect and manage usage statistics and prepare reports detailing changes related to the coverage, access and usage of electronic resources
- Ensure access to and discoverability of resources via application of appropriate metadata
- Assist in developing procedures for and documentation of e-resource management workflows and provide training on e-resources when needed
Candidates at the Library Professional 2 level will also be required to:
- Be responsible for maintaining and troubleshooting integration profiles and monitoring scheduled jobs that run in Alma
- Recommend and help implement new approaches to electronic resource management, including end-user search interface options and tools to facilitate the delivery of information that supports research and learning
- Customize and troubleshoot implementation of new Alma and Primo features and suggest solutions to improve discovery, usability and/or e-resources workflows
- Utilize emerging trends and best practices in electronic resource management to enhance library services
- Conduct and engage in projects designed to enhance and optimize user access to subscribed materials
- Develop and implement assessment strategies and conduct ongoing assessments
- Identify emerging educational technologies and research methods, open access trends, related e-resource and bibliographic standards, authentication, interoperability and other technical issues related to the acquisition, licensing, access, usage and data mining of electronic resources
- Master’s degree in library and information science from an American Library Association accredited program
- 2+ years of experience (Level 1); 5+ years of experience (Level 2)
- Demonstrated familiarity with common issues, workflows and tools related to e-resource access, use and management
- Previous experience with knowledge management systems, such as Ex Libris, Serials Solutions, etc., as well as Link resolvers
- Understanding of the details of a cataloging record
- Working knowledge of LSP and common MARC record management systems, such as OCLC systems, Alma, etc.
- Understanding of KBART or other title entitlement metadata, especially metadata pertaining to e-serials (e.g. title changes, coverage, etc.)
- Understanding of central discovery index metadata and options
- Ability to research and follow cataloging guidelines to enhance discoverability and access to resources, as well as metadata best practices
- Proven experience working on multiple projects and meeting deadlines
- Experience effectively managing projects, engaging stakeholders, communicating progress, delegating responsibilities and adjusting plans as appropriate
- Knowledge of authentication protocols and tools, as well as trends in authentication, such as IP authentication/proxy tools, SSO, SAML based authentication, authentication via federation options and tools, such as OpenAthens and Seamless Access
- Strong communication, collaboration, problem solving and customer service skills
- Knowledge of electronic resource industry standards, best practices and protocols, including ER Licensing, SUSHI, COUNTER, Project Transfer, common authentication protocols and OpenURL preferred
We Are Delivering Scientific Excellence
Los Alamos National Laboratory is more than a place to work. It is a catalyst for discovery, innovation and achievement. Professional development, work/life balance and a diverse and inclusive team foster lasting career satisfaction. Our onsite medical and fitness facilities, education assistance and generous compensation and benefits reflect our commitment to providing our people with all they need for personal and professional growth.
Req #: IRC120647
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regards to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to [email protected] or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.
To apply for this job please visit lanl.jobs.