Website University of Iowa Libraries
THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA LIBRARIES
Library Information Technology (LIT)
Full Stack Web Application Developer (PIA2/4B)
The University of Iowa Libraries seeks to hire a full-stack application developer to design, develop, test, debug, and troubleshoot software and applications. Conduct system analysis and design, and provides technical leadership, training, and guidance to staff to support information technology business operations.
Supported applications include commercial applications as well as locally developed systems. This position will report to the Administrative Lead and work within the University Libraries Information Technology (LIT) unit to develop applications in support of public discovery and access of library resources and services. This position is not eligible for H1B sponsorship.
The University of Iowa Libraries values work-life balance and strives to provide flexible work options where possible. This position is eligible for a combination of on-campus and remote work. Remote work must be performed at a location within the state of Iowa and comply with the remote work program and related policies.
- Implement, develop, and/or support backend technologies that may include MS-SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, IIS, Apache, PHP, Ruby, etc.
- Recommend, implement, and maintain CMS (Content Management System) systems and tools. Including WordPress, Drupal, Omeka and LibApps.
- Install and configure vended library applications.
- Create functional and technical specifications for local development, soliciting input from library staff and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- Recommend programmatic solutions; modify, write, and document program code or code changes.
- Recommend tools, languages, technologies, techniques, and standards. Build development environment automation.
- Write documentation for developed applications.
- Provide backup system administration support.
- Provide second-tier support to library technical services and public services staff who maintain the data.
- Provide third-tier support to students, faculty, and other library users.
- Actively support the University of Iowa Libraries commitment to diversity, equity, accessibility and inclusion (DEAI) in the workplace.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 2 year experience developing applications solutions.
- Experience working with Apache servers
- Knowledge of activities, tasks, practices, and deliverables associated with writing and modifying programs that comprise an application system.
- Experience using tools and toolkits for development and support of applications.
- Experience with relational databases such as Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL
- Experience with web publishing technologies such as Apache, IIS, AWS (Amazon Web Services).
- Knowledge of XML and JSON data formats.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with users from diverse technological abilities and background.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, access and inclusion in an academic environment, in a workplace setting, and/or in the community.
- Experience working with CMS systems such as Drupal and WordPress
- Understanding of the mission and function of a large academic library in a public research institution.
- Experience working with University of Iowa authentication tools.
- Experience using versioning tools.
- Experience with data extraction and manipulation via API (Application Programming Interface)
- Familiarity with library standards such as MARC (Machine Readable Cataloging), Dublin Core and MODS
See link for job ad and to apply: http://phxc3c.rfer.us/UIOWA7ObH8P
Applications are only accepted through the Jobs@UIOWA website.
In order to be eligible for interview, applicants must upload the following and mark them as “relevant files” when you upload the documents:
- Cover letter that clearly addresses how you meet each of the required and any desired qualifications of this position. To ensure strongest consideration, applicants are encouraged to review all required qualifications and state directly how they meet each of them.
- Current resume
This job ad will be posted through at least September 10, 2023, and may be removed from posting and filled any time after that date. Please contact and[email protected] if you have any questions about the position.
The hiring salary range for this position will be $56,000 – $70,000. Salary will be based on qualifications and years of experience.
Successful candidates will be required to self-disclose any conviction history and will be subject to a criminal background check and credential/education verification. Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process.
This position is eligible for a combination of on-campus and remote work. Remote work must be performed at a location within the state of Iowa and comply with the remote work program and related policies.
Equal opportunity/affirmative action employer
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth and related conditions), disability, genetic information, status as a U.S. veteran, service in the U.S. military, sexual orientation, gender identity, or associational preferences.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance or accommodations with the application or interview process may contact University Human Resources/Faculty and Staff Disability Services, (319) 335-2660 or [email protected]. For jobs in UI Health care, please contact UI Health care Leave & Disability Administration at 319-356-7543.